Monday, February 16, 2009

Never Do an Event By Yourself

This week's story covered an event called Step Afrika.  I was really looking forward to the great NATS and video I could get of people stepping and dancing at the show.  I arrived early and set up an interview with the artistic director to ensure that I would get people coming in as well as a great soundbite from someone in charge.  There were so many things running through my mind that it made it difficult for me to perfect my work.  What I mean is that I was worried about being in focus, keeping the shots steady and long enough to edit, as well as meeting people who I could talk to after the show and audience members would be great interviews.  During the actual show it wasn't too hard because I could focus on the stage or audience reactions, but following the show got more challenging.  Trying to set up the camera and get people to talk and not get run over was when I wished I had another person.  During one of my best interviews, my batteries went out and I didn't even know it.  It was disappointing to say the least once I got back to editing, but the experience definitely was a learning experience.  I know each experience out with the camera one-man-bandstanding-it is preparing me for my real journalism career and knowing how to think fast on my feet.  An important lesson I learned from losing the interview is that you should always check your equipment, even if it means taking a few more minutes of someone's time.  I'm always so focused on being a convenience to the people I talk with while I should be just as concerned with how everything turns out.  You might have a great soundbite of someone, but if you're video is crooked or doesn't look presentable, then that great quote is worthless.  So thinking on my feet and perfecting my work in the field are my goals for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment