Friday, February 27, 2009

How to Cover Controversy

I set out to Jefferson City around 3:30 for a four o'clock open house with the City Council for my story. It was about an ordinance the city is trying to pass that would require residents to pay a fee of about $15 for weekly trash and recycling pick up. I figured I would go to the meeting, get some bites with the City Council, and find a family I could interview later about their recycling habits. I was shocked to get there and observe so much opposition and controversy over the ordinance.
There were other journalists there but I know I was the youngest. Maybe people didn't understand that I was a journalist or what the profession of journalism is about, but I continuously got questions about my feelings about the ordinance. I became very self-conscious about my gestures, my "um-hmms" and nods, and even my facial expressions. It was the first time I consciously had to remember to stay neutral besides the times I covered the election back in November. I'm always aware not to eat food at an event or take free promotional products, but it was my first time covering something that people were so passionate about on different ends of the spectrum. It was a great learning experience and gave me a taste of what my world will always be like in a few years.
The biggest drawback in gathering this story was my lack of time. I brought the camera back almost 1 1/2 hours late, and still didn't get everything I needed. Being a one woman bandstand is making me a sharper journalist in terms of shooting exactly what I need and learning to edit in the process of gathering as well. I didn't get all the interviews I wanted and I would have shot more, but I am glad that I am learning how to juggle the many different things I have to do as a journalist. This class is about learning and growing. When I get back and feel that I've learned a great lesson, even when I don't get or do everything I would have liked to, I feel like it's time well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment