Saturday, February 7, 2009

How to Find That Angle

As I finish my first package for class, it suddenly has hit me how hard it is to find angles for a story.  I guess it's not so much hard to do after everything has been gathered, but it's being out in the field and actually gathering enough material to cover more than one angle.  Great ideas popped into my head for my first story in terms of another angle I could take, but alas, I am in the business of pictures and video.  When a story lacks it, you lack your story.  I spent hours in the field doing interviews, shooting B-roll, and of course perfecting (or as close at it will come right now) my stand-up, but I don't think I was thinking about the different ways I could tell my story.  I don't mean using different equipment or anything like that, but that different angle that gets the meat to the audience but in a different way each time. 
One of my favorite columnists' from back home has a brilliant way of finding angles.  Her name is Desiree Cooper, and she writes for the Detroit Free Press.  I actually had the opportunity to go with her on a story once, and I watched as she gathered her information and used it to construct a well-crafted story that wasn't all the interesting to start with.  She didn't make anything up or jazz up the facts, but she did present the information in a way that was heartwarming and entertaining to her readers.  Ms. Cooper has had years in the business and uses the pen and paper as her instrument, but I want to use my skills and tools to craft stories in a way that keeps attention and shows the best of journalism.
My favorite thing about using the Internet to get my daily doses of journalism are to view slideshows.  I think these are great ways by newspapers to get the audience to interact with their work, and a good use of the Internet.  Although they aren't quite the same, I especially like the short videos the Detroit Free Press has on its site that sometimes uses video and narration or still pictures with narration and natural soundbites.  College football recruitment recently passed and the Free Press did a short video on some guys from area high schools that were excited about having the opportunity to not only play football, but to go to college as well.  I have never been a sports fan, but seeing these young athletes just tell a piece of their story and hearing the words of praise from their families and coaches made me feel inspired as well.  I think this is an example of great journalism because it touches everyone, and isn't that the goal of journalists?  For someone who isn't really interested in sports, it makes the person feel proud of these young athletes.  Although I am using my video in a different way, I think the papers set great examples of journalism in their videos as well.  The story was to the point, well thought out, and had a very humanistic side.  I want to be able to bring the great conversations I have with people to a larger audience and make them special to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment